The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
The High Street, Uckfield photographed by Francis Frith - 1903
  Enlarge  Previous  Next 
The High Street - 1903The Francis Frith Web Site The Frith archive was founded by Francis Frith, the pioneer Victorian photographer, in 1860 and today contains over 365,000 photographs of some 7,000 towns and villages throughout Britain. Taken between 1860 and 1970 these form a topographical record of Britain without equal and is recognised as probably the only photographic collection of national importance in private hands in Britain today.

The importance of the Frith archive is as a topographical and social record. It provides an amazingly detailed visual record of over 7,000 towns and villages, as well as illustrating the enormous social and structural changes which have taken place in Britain since 1860. Whilst some of the photographs are undoubtedly artistically outstanding, the real value of the archive lies in its scale. There is no other archive which can illustrate this period of British history so extensively or to such a high quality.
More about
High Street

Uckfield Picture Gallery


Uckfield Church - c 1780

Copwood - 1784

View of the Sand Rocks near Uckfield taken from the Road - 1784

Uckfield Lake - c 1830

Church of The Holy Cross - 1840

Uckfield Old Bridge - 1860

View of Uckfield from the South - 1871


Uckfield - 1902

Church Street - 1902

The High Street - 1902

The High Street - 1903

The Chestnuts - 1903

The High Street - 1904

The High Street - 1904


The Rocks Footbridge - 1904

High Street - 1904

Church Street - 1904

Agricultural and Horticultural College - 1905

Building plot - 1905

High Street - 1905

High Street - 1905


Public Hall - 1905

Framfield Road - 1905

Dowlands Avenue - 1905

Uckfield Station - 1906

Ringles Cross - 1906

The Rocks - 1906

Uckfield Church - 1907


Coombe Banks - 1907

High Street - 1907

High Street - 1907

The High Street - 1908

Church Street - 1908

London Road - 1908

The Chestnuts - 1908


Harcourt Road - 1908

Emily Kate Head at Harlands Farm - 1908

The Eade family at Harlands Farm - 1908

The Old Workhouse - 1910

Framfield Road - 1910

The High Street - c 1910

Pudding Cake Lane - c 1910


Uckfield Mill - 1912

New Town - 1913

Piltdown Common - 1914

Copt Hall - 1914

Wedding Procession, Church Street - 11th May 1915

Maidens Hotel - 1917

High Street - 1917


Rocks Road - 1918

Ashdean, Rocks Road - 1918

Uckfield - 1920

Grammar School - c 1920

Uckfield Church - c 1920

New Town - c 1920

The Bridge House - c 1920


Downlands Avenue - c 1920

Rocks Cottage - 1922

East Surrey Bus No 79 - 15th Jan 1923

High Street - 1924

Southdown No 187 - 23rd Aug 1926

Uckfield Workhouse - 1937

Piltdown Pond - c 1940


High Street - c 1940

High Street - c 1940

Harcourt Road - c 1940

Uckfield - c 1940

Rocks Road - c 1940

High Street - 1946

High Street - 1955


The Maidens Head Hotel - 1958

The Weald is at  Database version 10.8 which has ongoing updates to the 372,868 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,136 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 240 books loaded in the previous version

Fasthosts web site  
ODNB  
British Libarary  
High Weald  
Sussex Family History Group  
Sussex Record Society  
Sussex Archaeological Society  
Kent Archaeological Society  
Mid Kent Marriages  
Ancestry  
Genes Reunited  
International Genealogical Index  
National Archives  

Top
of the
page