The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
Stone Cross    Burnt Oak Road  Crowborough  

Books and other documents
PublishedTitle, author and references
1928Rotherfield - The Story of some Wealden Manors by Catharine Pulleinp. 56
1933The Story of Crowbrough ⇒ p. 10; p. 58

Historical records

1296Subsidy/tax list1s 5dRobert atte StoneStone, Village of Suthborgh, Hundred of RetherfeldPullein's Rotherfield

c 1795Highhurst Wood, Sussex - c 1795Part of the 1 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1795 by William Gardner and Thomas GreamStone Cross

c 1825Highhurst Wood, Sussex - c 1825Part of the 1 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1825 by Christopher and John GreenwoodStone Cross

c 1875Stone Cross & Walshes, South of Crowborough - c 1875Part of the 6 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1875 by Ordnance SurveyStone Cross

1890HistoryStone CrossFirmin's Guide

The road over the Beacon and across the Common was little more than a bye-road, with scarcely enough traffic over it to keep the grass from growing upon it.

At Hurtis Hill there was an old farmhouse, and also one where the house now called Alice Bright stands. This was formerly known as Izzard's Farm, being the property of James Izzard, who was considered a well-to-do farmer, and was of some importance and notoriety, as he gave away annually on every S. Thomas's day forty sixpences to the poor.

There is a very old farmhouse at Stone Cross. It is perhaps the oldest of all immediately around Crowborough which have not been altogether renewed. The plan of the interior bespeaks its age. The chimney-place in the living-room extends the entire width of the room - the oven door is at one end of it, but the oven itself is built outside on to the wall of the house, and projects beyond it the whole length of the oven.

The ceilings are low, hardly six feet from the floor. The walls - those of them, at least, which have not been repaired - are made of blocks of sandstone. The rafters are visible, and the old beams run across the ceiling. The ceiling of the stairs is so low that you must bend as you go up them. The windows are narrow, and have small diamond-shaped panes of glass.

Outside it is like a venerable sturdy body, with a thatch which might be compared to a hoary head. Like a veteran, it waits calmly for the end; yet it battles with time and clings to life. Reluctantly it parts bit by bit with its crumbling materials. The walls which remain of the old building are timbered, having square frames of oak filled in with plaster, and below are built with sandstone to the depth of three feet. A small garden surrounds it, which is sheltered by trees. A little gate leads into a corner of the meadow outside it. Across this a paved footway extends to the larger gate opening into the. public road.

All its inmates are gone. It is deserted and left to decay, as an old nest is forsaken by birds. The dreary echo of your own footsteps is the only sound you hear in that old abode, which once resounded with happy, merry voices.


c 1899Stone Cross & Walshes, South of Crowborough - c 1899Part of the 6 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1899 by Ordnance SurveyStone Cross

2nd Apr 1911CensusFred Johnson, M, Head, married, age 78, born Kingston, Warwickshire; occupation: farmerFred JohnsonStone Cross Farm, Jarvis Brook1911 Census
Crowborough, Sussex
2nd Apr 1911CensusHenrietta Johnson, F, Wife, married 16 years, age 61, born Steeple Barton, OxfordshireHenrietta Johnson

The Weald is at  Database version 12.4 which has ongoing updates to the 379,932 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,308 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 244 books loaded in the previous version

Fasthosts web site  
ODNB  
British Libarary  
High Weald  
Sussex Family History Group  
Sussex Record Society  
Sussex Archaeological Society  
Kent Archaeological Society  
Mid Kent Marriages  
Ancestry  
Genes Reunited  
International Genealogical Index  
National Archives  

Top
of the
page