The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
East Hoathly Parish Church    East Hoathly Village  East Hoathly  Consecrated 1849
Parish records Before
1500
1500
to
1550
1550
to
1600
1600
to
1650
1650
to
1700
1700
to
1725
1725
to
1750
1750
to
1775
1775
to
1800
1800
to
1825
1825
to
1850
1850
to
1875
1875
to
1900
1900
to
1925
1925
to
1950
1950
to
1975
1975
to
2000
After
2000

500Christenings223153064567011989311
234Marriages41430181230241628321412
118Burials5256511132530763
 

Books and other documents
PublishedTitle, author and references
1852Notes on the churches in the counties of Kent, Sussex and Surrey by The Rev. Arthur Hussey, M.A. ⇒ p. 238

Historical records

1874Directory entryEast Hoathly Parish ChurchPost Office Directory
The old church (name unknown) was, with the exception of the square old battlemented clock tower, which contains 5 bells, taken down in 1856, and a neat edifice erected, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and porch : an organ chamber has been added, and a fine instrument furnished by Bevington. The old tower of this church possesses a very fine doorway, in the Tudor style, bearing the arms of the Pelham family at the extremity of the dripstones: in pannel above the doorway are bears' heads, the crest of the Lunsfordes of Whyly. The register dates from the year 1560.

1882Directory entryEast Hoathly Parish ChurchKelly's Directory
The old church (name unknown), a building of the Early English period, was, with the exception of the tower, taken down in 1856 and rebuilt: it now consists of chancel, nave, aisles, porch and a battlemented tower containing 6 bells, four of which were retuned and two re-cast in 1876, the latter being gifts respectively of the Rev. Edward Langdale M.A. late rector, and the other of the Earl of Chichester, and a clock with Westminster chimes was added by a bequest of the late Mrs. General Kemp. A set of silver parcel gilt communion plate was also presented, by subscription, at a cost of £80, in 1881. The old tower of this church possesses a very fine doorway, in the Tudor style, bearing the arms of the Pelham family, at the extremity of the dripstones : in panel above the door­way are boars' heads, the crest of the Lunsfordes of Whyly. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a rectory, yearly value £400, with residence, in the gift of the Marquis of Abergavenny and held by the Rev. Harry Harbord M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin.

c 1899East Hoathly, Sussex - c 1899Part of the 6 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1899 by Ordnance SurveyChurch

1902The VillageThe Village, East HoathlyEast Hoathly Parish ChurchPrivate collection

1905East HoathlyEast Hoathly photographed by The Mezzotint Co., BrightonEast Hoathly Parish ChurchPrivate collection

1908East Hoathly ChurchEast Hoathly Church, East Hoathly photographed by A.H. Homewood, Burgess HillPrivate collection

1910Lych Gate and ChurchLych Gate and Church, East HoathlyPrivate collection

1928Church and SchoolsChurch and Schools, East HoathlyEast Hoathly Parish ChurchPrivate collection

The Weald is at  Database version 12.4 which has ongoing updates to the 379,932 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,308 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 244 books loaded in the previous version

Fasthosts web site  
ODNB  
British Libarary  
High Weald  
Sussex Family History Group  
Sussex Record Society  
Sussex Archaeological Society  
Kent Archaeological Society  
Mid Kent Marriages  
Ancestry  
Genes Reunited  
International Genealogical Index  
National Archives  

Top
of the
page