The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
St. Thomas à Becket's Church    Framfield Village  Framfield  
Parish records Before
1500
1500
to
1550
1550
to
1600
1600
to
1650
1650
to
1700
1700
to
1725
1725
to
1750
1750
to
1775
1775
to
1800
1800
to
1825
1825
to
1850
1850
to
1875
1875
to
1900
1900
to
1925
1925
to
1950
1950
to
1975
1975
to
2000
After
2000

1391Christenings18967772841161962602081916841
744Marriages22258867254701041489422102
191Burials5111339232236491712
 

Books and other documents
PublishedTitle, author and references
1835The History, Antiquities and Topography of the County of Sussex by Thomas Walker Horsfield, F.S.A.p. 364
1851Church of St. Thomas a Becket, Framfield by The Rev. Henry Rosehurst Hoare ⇒ p. 291
1852Notes on the churches in the counties of Kent, Sussex and Surrey by The Rev. Arthur Hussey, M.A. ⇒ p. 229
1874Ecclesiastical History of the Deannery of South Malling by Edwin Hadlow W. Dunkin ⇒ p. 34

Historical records

1688 to 1748OccupationParish clerk for 60 yearsMichael (Miall) Brooker, parish clerkSt. Thomas à Becket's Church

1705Occupation: curate of FramfieldRev. John SmithSt. Thomas à Becket's Church

1710 to 1720Occupation: rector of FramfieldRev. John SmithSt. Thomas à Becket's ChurchPrivate Groombridge contribution

1748 to 1788OccupationParish clerk for 40 yearsDavid Brooker, parish clerkSt. Thomas à Becket's Church

1867Directory entrySt. Thomas à Becket's ChurchPost Office Directory
The church of St. Thomas-a-Becket is an ancient structure; it has nave, chancel, side aisles, north and south chapels, a stained window erected In the chancel in 1847, and an organ: the church is supposed to have been built in 1200, and the date of the first registry is 1538. The living is a vicarage, tithe commuted at £590, with resi≠dence, in the gift of, and held by, the Rev. Richard Leonard Adams, M.A., of Christ' c Colleges, Cambridge. The vicarage house was rebuilt in 1835.

1874Directory entrySt. Thomas à Becket's ChurchPost Office Directory
The church of St. Thomas a Becket is an ancient structure: supposed to have been built by Boniface, archbishop of Canterbury in 1200. The structure is cruciform, containing nave and aisles, and north and south chantries; the style is Early English, though little of the original building now remains, the aisles having been mainly rebuilt during the Tudor period, and the chancel entirely so in the year 1840. Of interest, internally, are the colored Tudor bosses on the roof of the nave, the doorway and three stone steps on the north side of the chancel arch, formerly leading to the rood loft the hagioscope in the south wall of the chancel, the small circular piece of stained glass, probably six centuries old, in the head of the window in the east wall of the north chantry and the mural monument to Edward Gage in the south wall of the south chantry, while the loftiness of the chancel arch, the flowing geometrical tracery of the east window, in imitation of the west window of Tintern Abbey, and the lightness and general proportions of the entire building, are the chief points of admiration. The chief external feature is the conspicuous absence of the tower, which from a dis≠tance imparts to the building the appearance of a large barn, and gives to a stranger the impression of a village without a church. The tower fell about the year 1667, and has never been rebuilt. The former peal of 6 bells, which the tower contained, appear to have been sold, and a small solitary bell, hung in the north porch, is all that now remains. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a vicarage, tithes commuted at £590, with residence, in the gift of, and held by, the Rev. Richard Leonard Adams, M.A., of Christís College, Cambridge. The vicarage house was rebuilt in 1835.

c 1875Part of the 6 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1875 by Ordnance SurveySt Thomas a Beckets Church

1882Directory entrySt. Thomas à Becket's ChurchKelly's Directory
The church of St. Thomas A Becket is an ancient cruciform structure in the Early English and Decorated styles, supposed to have been built by Boniface, archbishop of Canterbury, in 1200, and consists, of chancel, nave, aisles, north porch and north and south chantries: the tower fell about 1667 and has never been rebuilt and the former peal of 6 bells is now represented by a single bell, hung in the north porch : little of the original building now remains, the aisles having been .mainly rebuilt during the Tudor period and the chancel entirely so in the year 1840: of interest, internally, are the colored Tudor bosses on the roof of the nave, the doorway and three stone steps on the north side of the chancel arch, formerly leading to the rood loft, the hagioscope in the south wall off the chalice, a small circular piece of stained glass, probably six centuries old, in the head of the window in the east wall of the north chantry, and a mural monument to Edward Gage in the South wall of the south chantry, while the loftiness of the chancel arch, the flowing geometrical tracery of the east window, in imitation of the west window of Tintern Abbey and the lightness and general proportions of the entire building, are, the chief points of admiration. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a vicarage, tithes commuted at £505, exclusive of the tithes upon hops, gross yearly value £720, and about 10 acres of glebe, in the gift of W. Peel esq. and held by the, Rev. Henry Leach M.A. of Emmanuel College, Cambridge.
...............
hours of service
  St. Thomas' Church, Rev. Henry Leach M.A. vicar : 10.30a.m., 3 & 6.30 p.m.; Holy days, 11 a.m.; wed. 7 p.m

c 1899Framfield, Sussex - c 1899Part of the 6 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1899 by Ordnance SurveySt Thomas a Becket's Church

1904Framfield ChurchFramfield ChurchPrivate collection

1905The Church and VicarageThe Church and Vicarage, FramfieldSt. Thomas à Becket's ChurchPrivate collection

1907Interior, Framfield ChurchInterior, Framfield ChurchPrivate collection

1908Framfield ChurchFramfield Church, Framfield by F.L. Griggs, R.A.Private collection

1918The ChurchThe Church, Framfield photographed by Brooker & SonsPrivate collection

c 1920Framfield ChurchFramfield Church, FramfieldPrivate collection

The Weald is at  Database version 12.4 which has ongoing updates to the 379,932 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,308 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 244 books loaded in the previous version

Fasthosts web site  
ODNB  
British Libarary  
High Weald  
Sussex Family History Group  
Sussex Record Society  
Sussex Archaeological Society  
Kent Archaeological Society  
Mid Kent Marriages  
Ancestry  
Genes Reunited  
International Genealogical Index  
National Archives  

Top
of the
page