The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
About the site
E-mail
 
 
Site search
Ashdown Forest Brasted Burwash Buxted Chevening Chiddingly Chiddingstone Cowden Cranbrook Crowborough East Grinstead
East Hoathly Edenbridge Eridge Fletching Forest Row Framfield Frant Goudhurst Groombridge Hadlow Hailsham
Hartfield Hawkhurst Heathfield Hellingly Herstmonceux Hever Hildenborough Horsted Keynes Isfield Lamberhurst Laughton
Leigh Little Horsted Maresfield Mayfield Penshurst Rotherfield Rusthall Sevenoaks Southborough Speldhurst Ticehurst
Tonbridge Tunbridge Wells Uckfield Wadhurst Waldron Warbleton Westerham West Hoathly Withyham Worth More places
Census Documents
Genealogy Maps
Pictures People of note
Places of interest
St. Alban's Church      Frant  
Parish records Before
1500
1500
to
1550
1550
to
1600
1600
to
1650
1650
to
1700
1700
to
1725
1725
to
1750
1750
to
1775
1775
to
1800
1800
to
1825
1825
to
1850
1850
to
1875
1875
to
1900
1900
to
1925
1925
to
1950
1950
to
1975
1975
to
2000
After
2000

2302Christenings2442281356367831552775485231761
1192Marriages42611236442674122124284258802
346Burials215733143942759834743
 

Books and other documents
PublishedTitle, author and references
1830Guide of Tunbridge Wells ⇒ p. 77
1835The History, Antiquities and Topography of the County of Sussex by Thomas Walker Horsfield, F.S.A.p. 408
1852Notes on the churches in the counties of Kent, Sussex and Surrey by The Rev. Arthur Hussey, M.A. ⇒ p. 230

Historical records

c 1100HistoryChapel of FrantEeles' Frant
After William II had granted the Lordship of Rotherfield to Richard de Clare, the latter was succeeded by his son Gilbert who thereupon "granted and willingly confirmed … to the Church of St Andrew the Apostle of Rocicestre and the monks serving God in that place, the Church of Rotherfeilde with the Chapel of Frant …"

Nov 1746DeathMary GroombridgeSt. Alban's ChurchPrivate Groombridge contribution

Oct 1753DeathAnn GroombridgeSt. Alban's ChurchPrivate Groombridge contribution

1834Frant ChurchFrant Church, Frant by T. Henwood and engraved by WoolstenholmeHorsfield's Sussex

1st Feb 1850Frant ChurchFrant Church, Frant by Rock & Co., LondonPrivate collection

Jul 1851DeathMary Katherine AshburnhamSt. Alban's Church

1867Directory entrySt. Alban's ChurchPost Office Directory
The church of St. Alban is a Gothic edifice: it has nave, aisles, chancel, front and side galleries, square tower with 6 bells, stone font, with spiral oak top, carved and presented by the Ladies Nevill in 1852, and a handsome stained window in the chancel: there are some monuments in the church to the Abergavenny, Weller and Brown families. The register dates from 1042. The living, is a rectory, yearly value £800, with a glebe house, in the gift of the Earl of Abergavenny, and held by the Rev. Sir Henry Thompson, Bart., M.A., of Oriel College, Oxford, prebend of Chichester and rural dean. The rectory hence was considerably enlarged by the present rector in 1845.

1874Directory entrySt. Alban's ChurchPost Office Directory
The church of St. Alban is a Gothic edifice: It has chancel, nave, aisles, west gallery, square tower with 6 bells: it contains handsome stained glass windows of a memorial character, and several monuments to the Abergavenny, Weller, and Brown families. The register dates from the year 1543. The living is a rectory, yearly value £800, with a glebe house, in the gift of the Earl of Abergavenny, and held by the Rev. Joseph Harriman Hamilton, M. A., of Trinity College, Cambridge, and Canon of Rochester. The rectory house was considerably enlarged in 1845.

c 1875Frant, Sussex - c 1875Part of the 6 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1875 by Ordnance SurveySt Albans Church

1882Directory entrySt. Alban's ChurchKelly's Directory
The church of St. Alban is an edifice in the Early English and Decorated styles, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing 6 bells: there are several memorial windows, including the east window, erected in 1869 to the fourth Earl of Abergavenny, by his widow; and monuments to Abergavenny, Weller and Brown families : in 1881 a fine brass eagle lectern, nearly 7 feet high, and adorned with cairngorm and bloodstone was presented by his friends and neighbours in memory of the late Viscount Stratford de Redcliffe K.G., G.C.B. who died at Frant Court, August 14, 1880; aged 93: the interior was repaired and re-seated in 1880, at a cost of £1,200. The register dates from the year 1543. The living is a rectory, yearly value £800, with residence, in the gift of the Marquis of Abergavenny, and held by the Rev. R. Wentworth Fawkes, of London College of Divinity.

c 1900Frant ChurchFrant Church, FrantPrivate collection
The Weald is at  Database version 10.7 which has ongoing updates to the 371,515 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,136 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 231 books loaded in the previous version © The Weald and its contributors
Fasthosts web site ODNB British Libarary High Weald ESCIS Sussex Family History Group Sussex Record Society Sussex Archaeological Society Kent Archaeological Society Mid Kent Marriages Ancestry Genes Reunited International Genealogical Index National Archives
Top
of the
page
Fasthosts
web
site
Oxford
Dictionary
of National
Biography
British
Libarary
The High
Weald
East Sussex
Community
Information
Service
Sussex
Family
History
Group
Sussex
Record
Society
Sussex
Archaeological
Society
Kent
Archaeological
Society
David Hills
and
Gary
Samson
Ancestry Genes
Reunited
International
Genealogical
Index
National
Archives