The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
St. Mark's Church    Hadlow Down  Buxted  Consecrated 1836
Parish records Before
1500
1500
to
1550
1550
to
1600
1600
to
1650
1650
to
1700
1700
to
1725
1725
to
1750
1750
to
1775
1775
to
1800
1800
to
1825
1825
to
1850
1850
to
1875
1875
to
1900
1900
to
1925
1925
to
1950
1950
to
1975
1975
to
2000
After
2000

554Christenings1192641692
388Marriages901701262
24Burials188313
 

Books and other documents
PublishedTitle, author and references
1870A Compendious History of Sussex - Volume I. by Mark Antony Lower, M.A.p. 204
1874Ecclesiastical History of the Deannery of South Malling by Edwin Hadlow W. Dunkin ⇒ p. 23
1929Buxted The Beautiful by K. H. Macdermott ⇒ p. 33

Historical records

1836HistorySt MarkBuxted The Beautiful
The church of St. Mark, Hadlow Down, a small building with a graceful spire, was consecrated in 1836. It was in a decayed state at one time but was almost entirely rebuilt and refurbished in 1912.

1836 to 1853Occupation Vicar of Hadlow DownReverend William Edwards, M.A., curate of St. MarksSt. Mark's Church

1853 to 1871Occupation Vicar of Hadlow DownReverend Reginald R. Kirby, M.A.St. Mark's ChurchBuxted The Beautiful

1867Directory entrySt. Mark's ChurchPost Office Directory
district church (St. Mark's), consecrated in 1836, the district being formed from the parishes of Buxted, Framfield, and Mayfield. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the rector of Buxted and vicar of Mayfield alternately, and held by the Rev. Reginald Rivers Kirby, B.A., of St. John's College, Cambridge.

1871 to 1888Occupation Vicar of Hadlow DownReverend George Leopold LonghurstSt. Mark's ChurchBuxted The Beautiful

1874Directory entrySt. Mark's ChurchPost Office Directory
The church of St. Mark, consecrated in 1836, consists of small chancel, nave, square tower containing 1 bell, and short spire. The living is a vicarage yearly value £150, in the gift of the rector of Buxted and vicar of Mayfield alternately, and held by the Rev. George Leopold Longland (St. Bees).

c 1875Hadlow Down, South of Rotherfield - c 1875Part of the 6 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1875 by Ordnance SurveySt Marks Church

1882Directory entrySt. Mark's ChurchKelly's Directory
The church of St. Mark, consecrated in 1836, consists of a small chancel, nave, and a tower with a short spire, containing 1 bell. The register dates from the year 1836. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £150, with residence and 7 acres of glebe, in the, gift of the rector of Buxted and vicar of Mayfield alternately, and held since 1871 by the Rev. George Leopold. Longland, of St. Bees

1888 to 1916Occupation Vicar of Hadlow DownReverend John Allen Warner, M.A.St. Mark's ChurchBuxted The Beautiful

1908St Mark's ChurchSt Mark's Church, Hadlow DownPrivate collection

1916 to 1928Occupation Vicar of Hadlow DownReverend Benjamin Todd, A.K.C.St. Mark's ChurchBuxted The Beautiful

1928Occupation Vicar of Hadlow DownReverend John Harris Gurney, A.K.C.St. Mark's ChurchBuxted The Beautiful

The Weald is at  Database version 10.8 which has ongoing updates to the 372,868 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,136 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 240 books loaded in the previous version

Fasthosts web site  
ODNB  
British Libarary  
High Weald  
Sussex Family History Group  
Sussex Record Society  
Sussex Archaeological Society  
Kent Archaeological Society  
Mid Kent Marriages  
Ancestry  
Genes Reunited  
International Genealogical Index  
National Archives  

Top
of the
page