The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
Mereworth House      Mereworth  
Mereworth house was built after a plan of Palladio, designed for a noble Vicentine gentleman, Paolo Almerico, an ecclesiastic and referendary to two Popes, who built it in his own country about a quarter of a mile distance from the city of Venice, in a situation pleasant and delightful, and nearly like this; being watered in front with a river, and in the back encompased with the most pleasant risings, which form a kind of theatre, and abound with large and stately groves of oak and other trees; from the top of these risings there are most beautiful views, some of which are limited, and others extend so as to be terminated only by the horizon. Mereworth house is built in a moat, and has four fronts, having each a portico, but the two side ones are filled up; under the floor of the hall and best apartments, are rooms and conveniences for the servants. The hall, which is in the middle, forms a cupola, and receives its light from above, and is formed with a double case, between which the smoke is conveyed through the chimnies to the center of it at top. The wings are at a small distance from the house, and are elegantly designed. In the front of the house is an avenue, cut through the woods, three miles in length towards Wrotham-heath, and finished with incredible expense and labour by Lord Westmoreland, for a communication with the London road there: throughout the whole, art and nature are so happily blended together, as to render it a most delightful situation.
extract from Hasted's History of Kent published in 1798


Books and other documents
PublishedTitle, author and references
1766The History of Tunbridge Wells by Thomas Benge Burr ⇒ p. 239
1797The Tunbridge Wells Guide by J. Sprange ⇒ p. 225
1798The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent - Volume V by Edward Hastedp. 71
1810Tunbridge Wells and its Neighbourhood by Paul Amsinck and Letitia Byrnep. 53
1830Guide of Tunbridge Wells ⇒ p. 150
1840New Guide for Tunbridge Wells by John Colbran and edited by James Phippen ⇒ p. 337
1909English Homes and Villages (Kent & Sussex)
also published as
Tunbridge Wells and its Neighbourhood by Lady Hope ⇒ p. 280
1914Highways and Byways in Kent by Walter Jerrold with Illustrations by Hugh Thomson ⇒ p. 283

Historical records

1809MereworthMereworth by Paul Amsinck & engraved by Letitia ByrneLetitia ByrneAmsinck's Tunbridge Wells

1826Mereworth CastleMereworth Castle by J. Clifford, Tunbridge WellsGuide of Tunbridge Wells

1911Mereworth CastleMereworth CastleKent Castles

c 1930Mereworth Castle - a Palladian villa built by John Fane in 1720-30Mereworth Castle - a Palladian villa built by John Fane in 1720-30Country Houses

c 1930La RotondaLa RotondaCountry Houses

c 1930Mereworth Castle - Colin Campbells English version of Palladios RotondaMereworth Castle - Colin Campbells English version of Palladios RotondaCountry Houses

c 1930Mereworth Castle - ceiling of the shell roomMereworth Castle - ceiling of the shell roomCountry Houses

c 1930Mereworth Castle - fresco painting in the loggiaMereworth Castle - fresco painting in the loggiaCountry Houses

c 1930Mereworth Castle - the central domed hallMereworth Castle - the central domed hallCountry Houses

c 1930Mereworth Castle - the long galleryMereworth Castle - the long galleryCountry Houses

1962Mereworth CastleMereworth Castle photographed by Country LifeCountry Life Picture Book of Kent and Sussex - 1962
reproduced with the permission of Country Life

The Weald is at  Database version 12.4 which has ongoing updates to the 379,932 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,308 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 244 books loaded in the previous version

Fasthosts web site  
ODNB  
British Libarary  
High Weald  
Sussex Family History Group  
Sussex Record Society  
Sussex Archaeological Society  
Kent Archaeological Society  
Mid Kent Marriages  
Ancestry  
Genes Reunited  
International Genealogical Index  
National Archives  

Top
of the
page