The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
About the site
E-mail
 
 
Site search
Ashdown Forest Brasted Burwash Buxted Chevening Chiddingly Chiddingstone Cowden Cranbrook Crowborough East Grinstead
East Hoathly Edenbridge Eridge Fletching Forest Row Framfield Frant Goudhurst Groombridge Hadlow Hailsham
Hartfield Hawkhurst Heathfield Hellingly Herstmonceux Hever Hildenborough Horsted Keynes Isfield Lamberhurst Laughton
Leigh Little Horsted Maresfield Mayfield Penshurst Rotherfield Rusthall Sevenoaks Southborough Speldhurst Ticehurst
Tonbridge Tunbridge Wells Uckfield Wadhurst Waldron Warbleton Westerham West Hoathly Withyham Worth More places
Census Documents
Genealogy Maps
Pictures People of note
Places of interest
Trinity Church    Church Road [als Jordan Lane]  Tunbridge Wells  
Parish records Before
1500
1500
to
1550
1550
to
1600
1600
to
1650
1650
to
1700
1700
to
1725
1725
to
1750
1750
to
1775
1775
to
1800
1800
to
1825
1825
to
1850
1850
to
1875
1875
to
1900
1900
to
1925
1925
to
1950
1950
to
1975
1975
to
2000
After
2000

13Christenings256
10Marriages46
0Burials
 

Books and other documents
PublishedTitle, author and references
1830Guide of Tunbridge Wells ⇒ p. 36
1840New Guide for Tunbridge Wells by John Colbran and edited by James Phippen ⇒ p. 93
1883Pelton's Illustrated Guide to Tunbridge Wells by J. Radford Thomson, M.A. ⇒ p. 108

Historical records

25th Aug 1824HistoryTrinity ChurchGuide of Tunbridge Wells
Much inconvenience having been experienced for some years past from the want of sufficient accommodation in the Chapel of Ease, for a large and rapidly increasing population, (especially in the summer months, when it was frequently crowded to excess) the erection of an additional place of worship on the principles of the established Church, was considered absolutely necessary, and a liberal subscription was entered into for that purpose, at a meeting held on the 25th of August, 1824—the Rev. Martin Benson in the Chair. An application was also made to His Majesty's Commissioners for building additional churches, to assist in the undertaking, which being complied with, the subscriptions were considerably increased by handsome donations from the frequent visitors to the Wells, and from the inhabitants. The ground was purchased of Dr. Thomson, at Mount Pleasant, for the site of the Church; and Mr. Decimus Burton was nominated by the committee, and approved of by His Majesty's Commissioners, as architect; and from his designs, and under his superintendance, the works have since been executed. The tender of Messrs. Barrett, (builders in this place) to complete the works of the body of the building, was accepted at the sum of £9477.7s.0d. ; and the first stone of the new edifice was laid on the 17th of August, 1827, being the birthday of Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Kent, (then residing at Calverly House) but no particular ceremony was observed on the occasion. By a subsequent resolution of the local committee, a subscription was entered into for the completion of the tower; and the necessary funds having been raised by the month of October, 1828, Messrs. Barrett entered into a contract to build it for the sum of £1200. The whole is now nearly completed, and, it is supposed, will be ready for consecration by the beginning of the month of July, 1829. The style of building has been adopted, which prevailed in England during the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, and of which, beautiful examples may be seen in York and Carlisle cathedrals, Westminster Abbey, &c. The whole building when finished will cost about £12,000. The stone made use of, was principally brought from Calverly Quarry, which is a short distance from the spot, on the estate of John Ward, Esq.

1827BuiltDesigned by Decimus BurtonTrinity Church

Decimus Burton was born on 30th September 1800 in the parish of St Pancras, London, and christened in Old Church, St Pancras on 18th July 1802, the tenth son of James Haliburton and his wife, Elizabeth (nee Westley). James Haliburton, later Burton, (1761-1837) was one of the most significant builders of Georgian London, responsible for large areas of Bloomsbury, as well as St. Johns Wood and Clapham Common and, in collaboration with John Nash, the development of Regents Park. In 1828 he started building a new seaside town at St. Leonards near Hastings based closely on his experiences at Regents Park. The first four children were christened Haliburton but from 1794 onwards the remaining six children were all christened as Burton. The fourth child, James Haliburton (1788 - 1862), was to have an eminent career as an Egyptologist. After the birth of their last child, Jesse, in 1804, the family moved to Mabledon, Quarry Hill, Tonbridge and Decimus Burton was educated at Tonbridge School followed by several years in the Royal Academy Schools in Somerset House where Sir John Soane was Professor of Architecture.

Through his father's connections, Decimus gained many early commisions in Regents Park in London (including the family residence at The Holme) before gaining the design for his first major public building at the Colosseum in 1823, followed by the Ionic Screen at Hyde Park Corner in 1825, the Wellington Arch at Hyde Park Corner in 1826, Cornwall Terrace in Regents Park, the Athenaeum Club in Pall Mall and Trinity Church, Tunbridge Wells in 1827, Charing Cross Hospital in 1831, Fleetwood, Lancashire in 1836, and, later in 1846, The Palm House at Kew. In 1850 Decimus began the second phase of building at St Leonards on Sea, originally, commenced by his father

In 1826, the 870 acreage Calverley Estate was acquired by John Ward J.P., M.P. (1776-1855). He commisioned Decimus Burton "to erect a number of edifices suitable to the reception of genteel families, and simultaneously with the larger buildings, a number of shops, etc in their immediate neighbourhood, so that residents upon the estate might enjoy the same advantages as those who lived nearer the Springs." By 1839 all the Calverley Park villas were complete and Decimus Burton had taken possesion of No 4. In that same year the Calverley House (previously Mount Pleasant House) had been extensively refurbished and extended by Decimus Burton. In the years that followed his commisions in Tunbridge Wells and the surrounding area were extensive and included The Grove at Penshurst, Burrswood at Groombridge, Bentham Hill and St Peters Church at Southborough, Hollands at Langton Green and St Marys Church at Riverhead.

In 1832 Decimus Burton was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society and he continued in practice until 1869. In his later years, he spent his time as a lifelong batchelor between his properties at Gloucester Gardens, Hyde Park and St Leonards in Sussex. He died on 14th December 1881 in his home in London and is buried at Kensal Green cemetery.

For more information about James and Decimus Burton see the Hastings Museum web site

See also


17th Aug 1827HistoryHoly TrinityColbran's Tunbridge Wells

… the first stone was laid on the Duchess of Kent's birth-day, the 17th August, 1827. The building was completed in about two years, and on the 3rd. September, 1829, it was consecrated, with the accustomed ceremonies, by the Bishop of Rochester … The Church, called "Holy Trinity," is a handsome structure in the style of the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, and is seen to great advantage from many parts of the common. Decimus Burton, Esq. was the Architect, and Messrs. Barrett, of Tunbridge Wells, were the Builders. It cost upwards of £12,000., although the stone used in the building was procured from the Calverley quarry, in the immediate neighbourhood of the church.


1829The New ChurchThe New Church, Tunbridge Wells by Bartlett and engraved by B. WinklesPrivate collection

1831Church and Priory HousesChurch and Priory Houses, Tunbridge Wells by T. H. ClarkeSketches of Tunbridge Wells

1831Church at Tunbridge WellsChurch at Tunbridge Wells by T. H. ClarkeSketches of Tunbridge Wells

1831Church and Calverley ParadeChurch and Calverley Parade, Tunbridge Wells by J.J. DoddSketches of Tunbridge Wells

1833Calverley ParkCalverley Park, Tunbridge Wells by W. Purser & B. WallisTrinity ChurchPrivate collection

1839Tunbridge WellsTunbridge WellsTrinity ChurchColbran's Tunbridge Wells

c 1875Churchill's Calverley Hotel with the Park and Pleasure GardensChurchill's Calverley Hotel with the Park and Pleasure Gardens, Tunbridge Wells drawn by C. J. Dodd and engraved by J. T. WedgwoodTrinity ChurchPrivate collection

1880Trinity ChurchTrinity Church, Tunbridge WellsPelton's Tunbridge Wells

1889Trinity ChurchTrinity Church, Tunbridge Wells by Charles Reynolds & Co.Private collection

c 1890Trinity ChurchTrinity Church, Tunbridge WellsPrivate collection

1896Trinity ChurchTrinity Church, Tunbridge WellsPrivate collection

1896Church RoadChurch Road, Tunbridge WellsPrivate collection

1909Trinity Church & Norfolk HotelTrinity Church & Norfolk Hotel, Tunbridge Wells photographed by H.H Camburn, Tunbridge WellsPrivate collection

c 1910Trinity ChurchTrinity Church, Tunbridge Wells photographed by Valentine's seriesPrivate collection

1915The Crest of Mount PleasantThe Crest of Mount Pleasant, Tunbridge Wells photographed by H. Camburn, Tunbridge WellsTrinity ChurchPrivate collection

1915The Crest of Mount PleasantThe Crest of Mount Pleasant, Tunbridge Wells photographed by H. Camburn, Tunbridge WellsTrinity ChurchPrivate collection
Currently The Weald is at  Database version 10.5 - 1st May 2014 and contains information on 370,382 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,136 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 227 books © The Weald and its contributors
Fasthosts web site ODNB British Libarary High Weald ESCIS Sussex Family History Group Sussex Record Society Sussex Archaeological Society Kent Archaeological Society Mid Kent Marriages Ancestry Genes Reunited International Genealogical Index National Archives
Top
of the
page
Fasthosts
web
site
Oxford
Dictionary
of National
Biography
British
Libarary
The High
Weald
East Sussex
Community
Information
Service
Sussex
Family
History
Group
Sussex
Record
Society
Sussex
Archaeological
Society
Kent
Archaeological
Society
David Hills
and
Gary
Samson
Ancestry Genes
Reunited
International
Genealogical
Index
National
Archives