The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
Holy Cross Church      Uckfield  
Parish records Before
1500
1500
to
1550
1550
to
1600
1600
to
1650
1650
to
1700
1700
to
1725
1725
to
1750
1750
to
1775
1775
to
1800
1800
to
1825
1825
to
1850
1850
to
1875
1875
to
1900
1900
to
1925
1925
to
1950
1950
to
1975
1975
to
2000
After
2000

785Christenings83364233029451101601571179
374Marriages638342214326078481810662
194Burials91414116513425518412
 

Books and other documents
PublishedTitle, author and references
1852Notes on the churches in the counties of Kent, Sussex and Surrey by The Rev. Arthur Hussey, M.A. ⇒ p. 298
1860Uckfield, Past and Present by The Rev. Edward Turner, M.A.p. 5
1874Ecclesiastical History of the Deannery of South Malling by Edwin Hadlow W. Dunkin ⇒ p. 23
1888Brooker's Guide and Directory for Uckfield and District ⇒ p. 5; p. 19

Historical records

1299HistoryHoly Cross ChurchTurner's Uckfield
The Lambeth Registrar mentions Uckfield Church

c 1780Uckfield ChurchUckfield Church, Uckfield by Samuel Hieronymus GrimmSamuel Hieronymus Grimm, topographical artistThe Burrell Collection

1840Church of The Holy CrossChurch of The Holy Cross, UckfieldBrooker's Guide

1840HistoryHoly Cross ChurchBrooker's Guide
The Parish Church next engages our attention. The greater part of the old church, which was dedicated to the 'Holy Cross', was taken down in 1839/1840 having long been found, even with the aid of deep galleries on three sides of it, wholly inadequate to the requirements of the fast-increasing population of the parish-and the present more commodious church erected on its site. The former building was picturesque, but devoid of architectural interest.

1867Directory entryHoly Cross ChurchPost Office Directory
The church of the Holy Cross is a plain stone structure; it has nave, aisles, chancel, squire tower, with 8 bells, two side galleries, and a very handsome carved stone pulpit: the nave was enlarged in 1840, by which extra accommodation was obtained, and it now contains about 920 sittings, 520 of which are free: a brass in front of the communion table commemorates the death of John Fuller, Gent., who died in 1610, and left 10s. a year for ever, to he divided among the poor of Chiddington, Penshurst, Isfield, and Uckfield parishes; there are also several other charities. The living is a perpetual curacy, of which the tithes were commuted at £335 2s. 6d., with half an acre of glebe, in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and held by the Rev. Edward Thomas Cardale.

c 1875Uckfield, Sussex - c 1875Part of the 6 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1875 by Ordnance SurveyHoly Cross Church

1882Directory entryHoly Cross ChurchKelly's Directory
The church of the Holy Cross is a plain stone structure, chiefly of Perpendicular date, but has been much modernized ; it consists of a chancel, nave, aisles and a tower with spire, containing 8 bells: a stained memorial window has been placed in the chancel : the church was enlarged in 1840 and will now seat about 740 persons. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a rectory, of which the tithes were commuted at £355 2s. 6d. net yearly value £310, with about 4 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury and held, since 1881, by the Rev. Edward Sanderson M.A. of Corpus Christi college, Cambridge.
Hours of service: 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m; wed, & fri. & holy days, 11 a.m

1888Directory entryHoly Cross ChurchBrooker's Guide
Parish Church
The Church of the Holy Cross has already been described.-Rector, Rev. Edward Sanderson, M.A. Curate, Rev. Herbert W. Hill, 4, The Crofts, Uckfield. Churchwarden, General Clarke, C.B. Mr. J. W. Gould. Organist, Mr. H. R. Revely. Parish Clerk, Mr. Batchelor. Services, Sunday, Morning at 11 a.m., Evening at 6.30 p.m. Morning Prayer, on Wednesdays, Fridays, and holy days, at 10 a.m. Holy Communion, at the morning service on the 1st and 3rd Sundays in the month, and on the greater festivals, and on the 2nd, 4th and 5th Sundays, at 8 a.m. Litany and Baptisms, on the 1st Sunday in the month at 3 p.m., and at any morning service during the week. Churchings, at any of the week day services. Marriages, on any morning except Sunday.

c 1899Uckfield, Sussex - c 1899Part of the 6 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1899 by Ordnance SurveyHoly Cross Church

1907Uckfield ChurchUckfield Church, UckfieldPrivate collection

c 1920Uckfield ChurchUckfield Church, UckfieldPrivate collection

The Weald is at  Database version 12.4 which has ongoing updates to the 379,932 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,308 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 244 books loaded in the previous version

Fasthosts web site  
ODNB  
British Libarary  
High Weald  
Sussex Family History Group  
Sussex Record Society  
Sussex Archaeological Society  
Kent Archaeological Society  
Mid Kent Marriages  
Ancestry  
Genes Reunited  
International Genealogical Index  
National Archives  

Top
of the
page