The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
The Public Hall  High Street    Uckfield  

Books and other documents
PublishedTitle, author and references
1888Brooker's Guide and Directory for Uckfield and District ⇒ p. 10

Historical records

1877HistoryThe Public HallBrooker's Guide
After passing the White Rails, the visitor will arrive at the Public Hall, a building of some pretention, erected in 1877, from plans prepared by Mr. Robert Wheeler, architect, of Tunbridge Wells. It is the property of a public company, promoted principally by the magistrates of the Uckfield Bench, who desired to procure better accommodation for the petty sessions than was obtainable at the Maiden's Head Hotel, where the sittings had been held for many years. The building is of pleasing elevation, with indented portico, having three Gothic arches in colored brick and stone, supported by two columns with carved capitols. There are two entrances, one for carriages, which is on the north side, and the other on the east side, approached by a flight of steps, on each side of which is a terrace planted with shrubs and enclosed by an iron railing. The cost of the building, with fittings and furniture, was about £2000. The large hall is capable of seating 300 persons.

1888Directory entryThe Public HallBrooker's Guide
Public Hall
The Public Hall Company was established in 1877. The large Hall, which seats 300 people, is available for public meetings, balls, concerts, &c., and there are smaller rooms for committee and other meetings. Chairman of Directors, F. Barchard, Esq. Secretary, Mr. G. Earl, Framfield Road.
Musical Society (Uckfield & District)
During winter private Concerts are given at the Public Hall to members and friends. Membership is of two classes, Honorary and Singing. President, Rev. E. Sanderson. Treasurer, Genl. Clarke, C.B. Hon. Conductor, Sir. Henry R. Revely, Organist of Parish Church, Grant's Hill. Hon. Secretary and Collector, Mr. W. Reeves, North View, Framfield road. Practice at the Parochial Schools.

1888Directory entryThe Public HallBrooker's Guide
Conservative Club
Established 1886. Club House adjoining Public Hall. open from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. on weekdays only. Chairman of Committee, J. A. Day, Esq. J.P. Hon. Secretary, Mr. Chas. Norman, Belle Vise. Hon. Treasurer, Mr. Chas. Cheesman.

c 1899Uckfield, Sussex - c 1899Part of the 6 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1899 by Ordnance SurveyPublic Hall

1905Public HallPublic Hall, UckfieldPrivate collection

The Weald is at  Database version 12.4 which has ongoing updates to the 379,932 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,308 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 244 books loaded in the previous version

Fasthosts web site  
ODNB  
British Libarary  
High Weald  
Sussex Family History Group  
Sussex Record Society  
Sussex Archaeological Society  
Kent Archaeological Society  
Mid Kent Marriages  
Ancestry  
Genes Reunited  
International Genealogical Index  
National Archives  

Top
of the
page