The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
Historical notes about Horsted Keynes
1597 to 1598HistoryHorsted KeynesBuckhurst Terrier
Sir John Sackville, who was sheriff of Surrey and Sussex in the reign of Henry VIII, married Margaret Boleyn, the aunt of Queen Anne Boleyn, so that his son Richard was that queen's first cousin. This Richard Sackville was a man of outstanding ability.......He grew very rich by dealings in land in many counties, often the former possessions of suppressed chantrys and of attainted noblemen, his name appears more frequently in the Close Rolls of that period than that of any other person ............ It was jestingly said of him that his name should be Fillsack, not Sackville. He acquired the lands of the Chantry of St. Marie in 1550, those of the Fraternity of St. Katherine probably at about the same time, Tablehurst in 1559, Imberhorne in 1560, and Alchorne in 1564............... The manor of Broome, which included the greater part of the village of Hartfield, was purchased some time after 1584. Collinghurst was also in his possession at the time of his death, April 21, 1564. His only son Thomas, born in 1536, was one of the most prominent men of his time. In his earlier years a poet, he was a favourite of Elizabeth I, his second cousin.... On the 8th of June, 1567, he was knighted, and on the same day created a baron under the title of Lord Buckhurst. Alter many services to the State he was made Lord High Treasurer in May, 1599. .......Soon after succeeding to the estates at the death of his father he set about the acquisition by purchase and exchange of further manors in the vicinity of Buckhurst......The manor of Withyham, called Mounkencourts or Munkloe 1569-70; the manors of Sheffield and Tarring Peverell 1570; Ridgehill 1576; Bolebrook 1590; Lavertie 1591; Framfield in 1592; Blackham 1592; Birchden, 1595; and Bullockstown in 1585.....Sir Thomas Sackville, Lord Buckhurst, had thus in 1597 in his possession seventeen manors in north-east Sussex, including the manor of Buckhurst, as well as several others in the southern part of the rape. In view of the many recent acquisitions, and the number of leases that had been granted since 1592, it was expedient to record the seventeen in a Terrier in 1597-8
1610[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by John Norden and augmented by John SpeedHorsted CaynsJohn Speed
The first engraved maps of the counties of Great Britain were the work of Christopher Saxton who, under the authority of the Privy Council, surveyed the English counties in Elizabethan times, from 1574 to 1578. In 1593 he was followed by John Norden who projected an ambitious scheme for a complete series of county histories. He published before his death a number of counties - Middlesex, Hertfordshire, Essex, Northampton, Cornwall, Sussex and Surrey. John Speed's map of Sussex is based upon Norden's map and was engraved by Jodocus Hondius. It occupies pages nine and ten of John Speed's Atlas entitled "The Theatre of the Empire of Great Britaine", is 20 1/4 inches by 15 1/4 inches in size and shows additionally an interesting plan of Chichester and a spirited representation of the Battle of Hastings.
1645[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by Jan BlaeuHorsted CaynsJan Blaeu
1695[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by Robert MordenHorsted CaynesRobert Morden
Robert Morden was a London bookseller from 1669 until his death in 1703. He specialised in the geographical field and was himself something of a cartographer and a publisher. Throughout the 17th and most of the 18th centuries, there was little distinction between the activity of book or print-selling and that of publishing: many booksellers were also printers or engravers. They undertook the sale of each others' work and often combined to meet the high cost of publishing a new map or reissue of an old atlas, even if the original plates were still available. This map was published in Brittania: a chorographical description of Great Britain and Ireland by William Camden.
c 1724Horsted Kayns, Sussex - c 1724Part of the 1 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1724 by Richard BudgenHorsted Kayns
1763A New Map of [North] SussexA New Map of [North] Sussex by Thomas KitchinHorsted KaynsThomas Kitchin
Thomas Kitchin, an engraver and publisher from c.1738 to 1776, held the appointment of Hydrographer to the King. His output was prolific. He engraved the maps of the British and French dominions in North America by John Mitchell (1755), which was used at the peace coucil at the end of the revolutionary war. In his later years he worked with his son (hence senior after his name in the c.1755 edition of the Small English Atlas). He died in 1784.
1st Sep 1787[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by John CaryHorsted KaynsJohn Cary
John Cary, apprenticed to William Palmer in 1770, went into business in 1783 as a publisher of maps, plans and road-books. He was highly successful and is referred to as the founder of the modern English School of Cartography by H.G. Fordham
c 1795Horsted Keynes, Sussex - c 1795Part of the 1 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1795 by William Gardner and Thomas GreamHorsted Keynes
c 1825Horsted Keynes, Sussex - c 1825Part of the 1 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1825 by Christopher and John GreenwoodHorsted Keynes
1837[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by Thomas MouleHorsted KeyneThomas Moule
Thomas Moule was a bookseller. He published a number of important works on heraldry and antiquities, including Bibliotheca heraldica Brittaniae in 1822. The English Counties delineated; or, a topographical description of England has a complete series of county maps and was published by Thomas Moule in 1837
1840[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by Joshua Archer, Pentonville, LondonHorsted KeynesDugdale
Dugdale's England and Wales Delineated
1851DirectoryHorsted KeynesPost Office Directory
HORSTEAD KEYNES is a large parish, 8 miles south of East Grinstead, 5 north-east of Haywards Heath station, 8 from Uckfield, and 40 from London, in Cuckfield Union, giving name to Danehill Horstead Hundred, in Pevensey rape, and having 6,210 acres and a population of 812, assessed at £2,777.
.............
1851Horsted Keynes ChurchHorsted Keynes Church, Horsted Keynes drawn by R. H. NibbsPrivate collection
30th Mar 1851CensusHorsted Keynes1851 Census
Horsted Keynes, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of Horsted Keynes commencing at Caresford Bridge taking North side of Lane to a farm called Ludwell, continuing Lane to Village taking the North side thereof, the Northeast side of Lane to Stumble Hole, Newnhams Wood and Newnhams Farm House, thence to Warren House, continuing to Bounds and Broadhurst Farm and Piptyes. Thence to Wickham Farm and Cookham Farm and thence by the stream to Caresford Bridge
Enumerator - James Blaber
30th Mar 1851CensusHorsted Keynes1851 Census
Horsted Keynes, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of Horsted Keynes commencing at Stumble Hole, thence by the parish bounds into a lane leading to Dane Hill, thence by the bounds to a house near the church taking the stream to Freshfields Wharf, thence to Caresford Bridge, taking Lane to the village, the Southwest side thereof and thence by the bounds to Stumble Hole
Enumerator - John Bates
1864East Sussex with the addition of the RailwaysEast Sussex with the addition of the Railways by Mark Antony LowerHorsted KeynesLower's Sussex
Mark Antony Lower, son of Richard Lower, born 14th July 1813 in Heathfield, school master in the early 1830s at East Hoathly, Heathfield and Alfriston; and at Lewes from 1835 to 1867; and at Seaford 1867-1871. He then moved to London where he died in 1876.
He was a founder member of the Sussex Archeological Society and a prolific contributor to the collections of the society.
He published
c 1875Danehill, Sussex - c 1875Part of the 6 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1875 by Ordnance SurveyHorsted Keynes
3rd Apr 1881CensusHorsted Keynes1881 Census
Horsted Keynes, Sussex
Horsted Keynes
3rd Apr 1881CensusHorsted Keynes1881 Census
Horsted Keynes, Sussex
Horsted Keynes and Danehill
1882DirectoryHorsted KeynesKelly's Directory
HORSTED KEYNES is a parish with a junction sta­tion on the East Grinstead and Lewes and Cuckfield lines of the Brighton & South Coast Railway, 5 miles north-east from Hayward's Heath station, 7 north-east from Cuckfield and 40 from London ; in the Eastern division of the county, Cuckfield union and county court district, Horsted hundred, Pevensey rape, rural deanery of Pevensey third division, diocese of Chichester and archdeaconry of Lewes.
..........
The area is 4,304 acres ; rateable value, £3,964; in 1881 the population was 1,149, including about 160 in the Danehill district.
..............

The Weald is at  Database version 12.4 which has ongoing updates to the 379,932 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,308 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 244 books loaded in the previous version

Fasthosts web site  
ODNB  
British Libarary  
High Weald  
Sussex Family History Group  
Sussex Record Society  
Sussex Archaeological Society  
Kent Archaeological Society  
Mid Kent Marriages  
Ancestry  
Genes Reunited  
International Genealogical Index  
National Archives  

Top
of the
page