The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
Historical notes about East Grinstead
c 1260HistoryEast GrinsteadHorsfield's Sussex
In 44th Henry III. the king granted this manor [of East Grinstead] to Peter de Savoy.
1346HistoryEast GrinsteadHorsfield's Sussex
In the reign of Edward III. the manor belonged to the Cobham family, for in 1346 the king bestowed by patent on Reginald de Cobham, the inheritance of all the lands of Thomas de Arderne, Knt., and then forfeited to the crown, for a rape by him committed on Margerie, widow of Nicholas de la Beeche, as also for killing Nicholas de Poyninge. Galfredus de Say gave the manor of Grinstead to the Knights Templars, which his son, Galfredus de Say, exchanged with them for the manor of Saddlescombe, which was settled on them.
c 1468HistoryEast GrinsteadHorsfield's Sussex
In 7th Edward IV. the manor of East Grinstead was granted by the king to Elizabeth, his Queen consort, for life.
1554HistoryEast GrinsteadHorsfield's Sussex
By inquisition taken 1554, the Jurors say, "this borough is a liberty of itself, without any intermeddling of the hundred, or vice versa. It is within the parish of East Grinstead, and, within the duchy of Lancaster and the liberty of the same."
1608 to 1616HistoryEast GrinsteadHorsfield's Sussex
Sackville College.- Robert, the 2nd Earl of Dorset, by his will, dated the 10th of February, 1608, left £1,000 to build a college for a certain number of the poorer sort of men and women, and endowed the same with £330 per annum for their maintenance, and the necessary expenses connected therewith. .... This college was not built in the life time of Robert, Earl of Dorset, but afterwards by his son and heir, Earl Richard, and the executors and trustees named in Earl Robert's will, and was completed in or about the year 1616.
1610[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by John Norden and augmented by John SpeedEast GrinstedJohn Speed
The first engraved maps of the counties of Great Britain were the work of Christopher Saxton who, under the authority of the Privy Council, surveyed the English counties in Elizabethan times, from 1574 to 1578. In 1593 he was followed by John Norden who projected an ambitious scheme for a complete series of county histories. He published before his death a number of counties - Middlesex, Hertfordshire, Essex, Northampton, Cornwall, Sussex and Surrey. John Speed's map of Sussex is based upon Norden's map and was engraved by Jodocus Hondius. It occupies pages nine and ten of John Speed's Atlas entitled "The Theatre of the Empire of Great Britaine", is 20 1/4 inches by 15 1/4 inches in size and shows additionally an interesting plan of Chichester and a spirited representation of the Battle of Hastings.
1645[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by Jan BlaeuEast GrinstedJan Blaeu
17th Mar 1684HistoryEast GrinsteadHorsfield's Sussex
The Lent assizes for the county, to which the prisoners were brought from the gaol at Horsham, were formerly held in this town [East Grinstead], but they have been discontinued since 1799. In the Burrell MSS. we are informed that:
"On the 17th of March, 1684, the second day of the assizes, a jury being sworn, consisting mostly of knights and gentlemen, on a trial between Lord Howard and another person of distinction, the floor of the Nisi Prius Court fell down, and with it all the jury gentlemen, counsel and lawyers into the cellar; yet no person received any considerable injury except one witness, who was cut across the forehead. The bench where the judge sat fell not, but bung almost to a miracle. The rest of the trials were held in the Crown Court, and the Sessions House was soon after quite pulled down."
It was rebuilt principally at the charge of the burgage holders; and finished against the assizes in the following year.
1695[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by Robert MordenEast GrinstedRobert Morden
Robert Morden was a London bookseller from 1669 until his death in 1703. He specialised in the geographical field and was himself something of a cartographer and a publisher. Throughout the 17th and most of the 18th centuries, there was little distinction between the activity of book or print-selling and that of publishing: many booksellers were also printers or engravers. They undertook the sale of each others' work and often combined to meet the high cost of publishing a new map or reissue of an old atlas, even if the original plates were still available. This map was published in Brittania: a chorographical description of Great Britain and Ireland by William Camden.
16th Aug 1708HistoryEast GrinsteadHorsfield's Sussex
Free Grammar School: This school was endowed by Robert Payne, Esq., of Newick, in this county, who by will dated 16th of August, 1708, left the rent of a farm called Serryes farm, in East Grinstead for its support, under the management of seven trustees, who have power to send such number of boys to be educated from time to time, at their discretion, according to the value of the rent. Since the year 1816, this school has been received in union with the schools of the national society, and is held, by permission of his Grace the Duke of Dorset, in Sackville College, the school room provided by the parish in conformity with the founder's will not being sufficiently large for the purpose The present rent charge of the school farm is £44 per annum, for which 25 boys are educated ; and the average number, including those who pay for instruction, is 80.
1750SussexSussex by Thomas KitchinEast GrinstedThomas Kitchin
Thomas Kitchin, an engraver and publisher from c.1738 to 1776, held the appointment of Hydrographer to the King. His output was prolific. He engraved the maps of the British and French dominions in North America by John Mitchell (1755), which was used at the peace coucil at the end of the revolutionary war. In his later years he worked with his son (hence senior after his name in the c.1755 edition of the Small English Atlas). He died in 1784.
1756SussexSussex by Emanuel BowenE. GrinsteadEmanuel Bowen
Emanuel Bowen was a map- and print- seller, engraver and publisher. Britannia Depicta published (1720 to 1759) was probably his first publication and he must have been gratified at its success. He continued in business until his death in 1767, and at one time help the appointments of engraver to both George II and Louis XV. Nevertheless he died in reduced circumstances. His son Thomas carried on the business until c. 1790 when he died in the Clerkswell workhouse.
In 1756 Benjamin Martin published The Natural History of England which contained the Emanuel Bowen's map of Sussex.
1763A New Map of [North] SussexA New Map of [North] Sussex by Thomas KitchinEast GrinsteadThomas Kitchin
Thomas Kitchin, an engraver and publisher from c.1738 to 1776, held the appointment of Hydrographer to the King. His output was prolific. He engraved the maps of the British and French dominions in North America by John Mitchell (1755), which was used at the peace coucil at the end of the revolutionary war. In his later years he worked with his son (hence senior after his name in the c.1755 edition of the Small English Atlas). He died in 1784.
1st Sep 1787[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by John CaryE. GrinsteadJohn Cary
John Cary, apprenticed to William Palmer in 1770, went into business in 1783 as a publisher of maps, plans and road-books. He was highly successful and is referred to as the founder of the modern English School of Cartography by H.G. Fordham
c 1795East Grinstead, Sussex - c 1795Part of the 1 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1795 by William Gardner and Thomas GreamEast Grinstead
1808[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by G.Cole and engraved by J.RoperE. GrinsteadG. Cole
The British atlas; comprising a series of county maps…intended to illustrate and accompany 'The beauties of England and Wales' published 1808.
1835HistoryEast GrinsteadHorsfield's Sussex
The manor is now [1835] denominated Sheffield Grinstead, and is the property of John Biddulph, Esq., of Burton Park, near Petworth.
1837[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by Thomas MouleEast GrinsteadThomas Moule
Thomas Moule was a bookseller. He published a number of important works on heraldry and antiquities, including Bibliotheca heraldica Brittaniae in 1822. The English Counties delineated; or, a topographical description of England has a complete series of county maps and was published by Thomas Moule in 1837
1840[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by Joshua Archer, Pentonville, LondonEast GrinsteadDugdale
Dugdale's England and Wales Delineated
6th Jun 1841CensusEast Grinstead1841 Census
East Grinstead, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of East Grinstead which lies to the North of the turnpike road from Park Corner farm to East Grinstead town, bounded on the East by the road leading from Forest Row bridges to Holtye Common by way of Shovelstrode farm and on the West by the road leading from East Court Gates to Wilderwick, bounded by the Parishes of Hartfield, Cowden and Lingfield.
Enumerator: James Hayward
6th Jun 1841CensusEast Grinstead1841 Census
East Grinstead, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of East Grinstead comprising the lower Chapel Lane, Ship Lane, Rock Gardens as far as Place Land, The Rocks as far as the Pigence House, The Hermitage, Hurst and Clays and as far as the Cross Ways
Enumerator: Benjamin Huggett
6th Jun 1841CensusEast Grinstead1841 Census
East Grinstead, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of East Grinstead which lies North of the turnpike road from Place Land to Fellbridge Water bounded on the East by the road leading from East Grinstead to Wilderwick House and on the West by the parishes of Lingfield, Tandridge and Godstone.
Enumerator: Richard Edwards
6th Jun 1841CensusEast Grinstead1841 Census
East Grinstead, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of East Grinstead which lies to the South of the turnpike road from Swan Mead to Fellbridge Water bounded on the Southwest by the Parishes of Godstone, Horne and Worth and on the East by the road leading from East Grinstead to Turners Hill.
Enumerator: James Lynn
6th Jun 1841CensusEast Grinstead1841 Census
East Grinstead, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of East Grinstead which lies Southeast of the road from East Grinstead to Turners Hill commencing at the Old Mill bounded on the Southwest by the parishes of Worth and West Hoathly and on the Southeast by the roadway leading from East Grinstead to Twyford Lodge by way of Lagsheath and bounded by the Parishes of West Hoathly and Maresfield.
Enumerator: William Cotton
6th Jun 1841CensusEast Grinstead1841 Census
East Grinstead, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of East Grinstead which lies between the road from East Grinstead to Lagsheath and Twyford Lodge and the road leading from Wytch Cross to East Grinstead turnpike gate, bounded by the Parish of Horsted Keynes and Maresfield, Brockhurst House and Cottages are included in this district.
Enumerator: Joseph Simmons
6th Jun 1841CensusEast Grinstead1841 Census
East Grinstead, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of East Grinstead which lies to the North of the turnpike road from Wytch Cross to Forest Row bridges, bounded on the West by the river Medway and bounded by the Parishes of Maresfield and Hartfield.
Enumerator: James Brooker
6th Jun 1841CensusEast Grinstead1841 Census
East Grinstead, Sussex
Workhouse - Parish of East Grinstead.
Enumerator: Samuel Bolton
6th Jun 1841CensusEast Grinstead1841 Census
East Grinstead, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of East Grinstead which lies to the North of the road leading from Forrest Row bridges to Holtye Common by way of Shovelstrode, bounded on the East by the River Medway and on the West by the said road from Forrest Row bridges to Holtye Common, and on the North by the Parish of Hartfield.
Enumerator: Francis Fawcett
30th Mar 1851CensusEast Grinstead1851 Census
East Grinstead, Sussex
All that part of the parish of East Grinstead which lies to the North of the Turnpike from Park Corner House to East Grinstead Town, bounded on the East by the road leading from Forest Row Bridges to Holtie Common, by way of Shovelstrode Farm and on the West by the road leading from East Grinstead to Wilderwick, bounded by the parishes of Hartfield, Cowden and Lingfield.
Enumerator - James Lynn
30th Mar 1851CensusEast Grinstead1851 Census
East Grinstead, Sussex
All that part of the parish of East Grinstead comprising the Town, Chapel Lane, Ship Lane, Rock Gardens, as far as Place Land, the Rocks, as far as the Pigeon House, The Hermitage, Hurston Clays, and as far as the Cross Ways.
Enumerator - James Hayward
30th Mar 1851CensusEast Grinstead1851 Census
East Grinstead, Sussex
All that part of the parish of East Grinstead that lies North of the Turnpike bound from Place Land to Felbridge Water bounded on the East by the road leading from East Grinstead to Wilderwick House and on the West by the Parishes of Lingfield, Tandridge and Godstone.
Enumerator - John Isard
30th Mar 1851CensusEast Grinstead1851 Census
East Grinstead, Sussex
All that part of the parish of East Grinstead that lies North of the road from Place Land to Felbridge Water bounded on the South West by the parishes of Godstone, Horne and Worth, on the South by the parish of Worth and on the East by the road leading from East Grinstead to Turners Hill.
Enumerator - Charles Richard Duplex
30th Mar 1851CensusEast Grinstead1851 Census
East Grinstead, Sussex
All that part of the parish of East Grinstead which lies South East of the road from East Grinstead to Turners Hill commencing at the Old Mill. Bounded on the South West by the parishes of Worth and West Hoathly and bounded on the South East by the road leading from East Grinstead to Twyford Lodge by way of Legsheath and bounded by the parishes of West Hoathly and Maresfield.
Enumerator - William Cotton
30th Mar 1851CensusEast Grinstead1851 Census
East Grinstead, Sussex
All that part of the parish of East Grinstead which lies between the road from East Grinstead to Legsheath and Twyford Lodge and the road leading from Witch Cross to East Grinstead Turnpike Gates and bounded by the Parishes of Horsted Keynes, Maresfield. Buckhurst House and Cottages are included in the district.
Enumerator - William Head
30th Mar 1851CensusEast Grinstead1851 Census
East Grinstead, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of East Grinstead which lies to the East of the Turnpike Road leading from Wych Cross to Forest Row Bridge bounded on the North by the River Medway, and bounded by the parishes of Maresfield and Hartfield.
Enumerator - William Wells
30th Mar 1851CensusEast Grinstead1851 Census
East Grinstead, Sussex
All that part of the parish of East Grinstead which lies to the North of the road leading from Forest Row Bridges to Holtye Common, by way of Shovelstrode, bounded on the East by the River Medway and on the West by the said road from Forest Bridges to Holtye Common, and on the North by the parish of Hartfield.
Enumerator - Francis Webbe Faucett
1864East Sussex with the addition of the RailwaysEast Sussex with the addition of the Railways by Mark Antony LowerEast GrinsteadLower's Sussex
Mark Antony Lower, son of Richard Lower, born 14th July 1813 in Heathfield, school master in the early 1830s at East Hoathly, Heathfield and Alfriston; and at Lewes from 1835 to 1867; and at Seaford 1867-1871. He then moved to London where he died in 1876.
He was a founder member of the Sussex Archeological Society and a prolific contributor to the collections of the society.
He published
3rd Apr 1881CensusEast Grinstead1881 Census
East Grinstead, Sussex
The Southern part of East Grinstead Parish that includes Coombe Farm, Fonthill, Ridge Hill, Wellets Bridge, Plaw Hatch, Monkshill, Stone Farm, Dunnings Farm and Hurston Clay
3rd Apr 1881CensusEast Grinstead1881 Census
East Grinstead, Sussex
The South West part of East Grinstead Parish that includes Ashurstwood
3rd Apr 1881CensusEast Grinstead1881 Census
East Grinstead, Sussex
The Western part of East Grinstead Parish that includes Wall Hill, Ashurstwood, Homestall, Hammerwood, Great and Little Surrys, Ashdown House, Pixton and Tablehurst
3rd Apr 1881CensusEast Grinstead1881 Census
East Grinstead, Sussex
The Southern part of East Grinstead Parish that includes Ashdown Forest near Forest Row, Highgate, Stone Quarry House and Witch Cross Inn
3rd Apr 1881CensusEast Grinstead1881 Census
East Grinstead, Sussex
That part of East Grinstead Parish that includes West Street
3rd Apr 1881CensusEast Grinstead1881 Census
East Grinstead, Sussex
The Southern part of East Grinstead Parish that includes Forest Row Village, Forest Row Green and Quay Brook Common
3rd Apr 1881CensusEast Grinstead1881 Census
East Grinstead, Sussex
The Southern part of East Grinstead Parish that includes the western part of Forest Row, Brambletye, Kidbrook, Mudbrook, Priory, Hospital Farm, Hollybush Farm, Frame Post, The Hermitage, Brockhurst and Horseshoe Farm
3rd Apr 1881CensusEast Grinstead1881 Census
East Grinstead, Sussex
That part of East Grinstead that includes St Margarets Convent in Moat Road
3rd Apr 1881CensusEast Grinstead1881 Census
East Grinstead, Sussex
The Western part of East Grinstead Parish that includes London Road, North End, Imberhorne and Felbridge
3rd Apr 1881CensusEast Grinstead1881 Census
East Grinstead, Sussex
That part of East Grinstead Parish that includes College Lane, Place Land, Moat Road, The Brewery, Charlwood, Lingfield Road and Felbridge Road
3rd Apr 1881CensusEast Grinstead1881 Census
East Grinstead, Sussex
That part of East Grinstead Parish that includes the Union Workhouse on Glen Vue Road
3rd Apr 1881CensusEast Grinstead1881 Census
East Grinstead, Sussex
That part of East Grinstead Parish that includes Cemetery [or Queens] Road
3rd Apr 1881CensusEast Grinstead1881 Census
East Grinstead, Sussex
That part of East Grinstead Parish that includes High Street, Ship Street and Church Street
3rd Apr 1881CensusEast Grinstead1881 Census
East Grinstead, Sussex
That part of East Grinstead Parish that includes London Road
3rd Apr 1881CensusEast Grinstead1881 Census
East Grinstead, Sussex
That part of East Grinstead Parish that includes London Road, Glen Vue Road and Railway Works
c 1899East Grinstead, Sussex - c 1899Part of the 6 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1899 by Ordnance SurveyEast Grinstead
c 1899East Grinstead (South), Sussex - c 1899Part of the 6 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1899 by Ordnance SurveyEast Grinstead

The Weald is at  Database version 12.4 which has ongoing updates to the 379,932 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,308 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 244 books loaded in the previous version

Fasthosts web site  
ODNB  
British Libarary  
High Weald  
Sussex Family History Group  
Sussex Record Society  
Sussex Archaeological Society  
Kent Archaeological Society  
Mid Kent Marriages  
Ancestry  
Genes Reunited  
International Genealogical Index  
National Archives  

Top
of the
page