The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
Prospect House  Beacon Road    Crowborough  
Historical records

26th Feb 1839Crowborough Cross, Sussex - 1839Edward Luxford (occupier) and James Izzard (owner)Edward LuxfordHomestead, Buildings (0 acres 1 roods 1 perches) plot 2666Rotherfield Tithe Map

6th Jun 1841CensusEdward Luxford, M, Head, age 50 to 54, born Sussex; occupation: farmerEdward LuxfordCrowborough Cross1841 Census
Rotherfield, Sussex
Rebecca Luxford, F, [Wife], age 45 to 49, born SussexRebecca Luxford [Richardson]
Ann Richardson, F, age 79, born Sussex; occupation IndependentAnn Richardson

30th Mar 1851CensusHead; occupation: farmerEdward LuxfordCrowborough Town [Prospect House]1851 Census
Rotherfield, Sussex
WifeRebecca Luxford [Richardson]

c 1875Crowbrough Town, Sussex - c 1875Part of the 6 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1875 by Ordnance SurveyProspect House

3rd Apr 1881CensusMary Ross, F, Head, single, age 46, born ScotlandMary RossProspect House, Crowborough Cross1881 Census
Rotherfield, Sussex
Elizabeth Ross, F, Sister, single, age 42, born Scotland; occupation HousemaidElizabeth Ross
Harriett Dadswell, F, Servant, single, age 15, born Rotherfield; occupation: domestic servantHarriett Dadswell

1890HistoryProspect HouseFirmin's Guide

On the Beacon Road, near what is now the entrance to the Warren, stood a small house called Beacon House, containing about six rooms. It belonged to Sir J. Shelley, Bart., and was occupied by a small farmer. There was also the old Mill House, near the mill, on the road to the Cross; and where Prospect House now stands formerly stood a farmhouse. Between this and the Cross was a small wood and a cottage. On the other side, standing back from the road, was a small inn, which has now developed into the larger building of the Red Cross Inn. There were two small shops at the Cross, the larger of the two occupying the site of the present Post Office; the other, on the opposite side, where now the London House stands, was a very small shop, at which were sold herrings, snuff, candles, tobacco, bread, and sweets. Upon these sweets the good dame who kept the shop invariably impressed her snuffy thumb, thus imparting to them a flavour alien to that with which those sugary temptations usually delight the palate. But this, though not thoroughly relished, was not sufficient to restrain the longing child from investing its mite in the purchase of the luscious confection.

A blacksmith's forge existed near the site of the present one, but without a cottage or house attached to it.

Between the present Post Office and Pilmer Lane was a small plantation of trees called a "shaw."

There were no buildings or cottages in this lane, but at the further end of it stood a cottage called Pilmer House, and here the Pilmer Wood commenced.

Going back to the Cross, on the spot where the villa called Fern Bank has been erected stood a small house or cottage, and from this up to the mill on the Beacon Road the ground was covered by a wood called Mill Wood.

The road leading from the Cross towards White Hill was and is still known as the Roundabout Road. The only building by the side of this road was a cottage, which stood on the site of the one now occupied by Mr. Sands, and called Postern Cottage.

The Weald is at  Database version 13.7 which has ongoing updates to the 393,490 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,308 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 248 books loaded in the previous version

Fasthosts web site  
British Libarary  
High Weald  
Sussex Family History Group  
Sussex Record Society  
Sussex Archaeological Society  
Kent Archaeological Society  
Mid Kent Marriages  
Genes Reunited  
International Genealogical Index  
National Archives  

of the