Frankham Farm Mark Cross Road Mark Cross Wadhurst |
Historical records | |||||
1288 | History | Frankham Farm | Wace's Wadhurst | ||
No one seeing the very modern houses on the north-west side of this road would think that the triangle formed here by the meeting of the two roads from Wadhurst and Frant was once a park of 230 acres belonging to an Archbishop. There is a record of land to the value of 10s. having been enclosed from the Forest in 1288 for that purpose. It was enlarged by 74 acres in 1364, and grew ultimately to 400 acres. There is no record of any residence there. It seems to have been just an outlying bit of the Mayfield Park. | |||||
1546 | History | Frankham Farm | Wace's Wadhurst | ||
The fishponds on the park are said to have covered 9 acres. Both parks were surrendered by Archbishop Cranmer to, Henry VIII., and were sold together to the Gresham family in 1546. Frankham passed from them to Sir Henry Neville. | |||||
1618 | History | Frankham Farm | Wace's Wadhurst | ||
Frankham was certainly in the hands of Fowle of Riverhall in 1618, for in 1637 he charged Frankham with the supply of two cords of wood for the charity he then created: a charge which is still met by that Estate. | |||||
c 1795 | ![]() | Part of the 1 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1795 by William Gardner and Thomas Gream | Frankham Farm | ||
c 1795 | ![]() | Part of the 1 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1795 by William Gardner and Thomas Gream | Frankham Farm | ||
1810 | History | Frankham Farm | Wace's Wadhurst | ||
In the next century Frankham was in the hands of the eldest son of Samuel Newington of Hightown, and was entailed by him on his only child Elizabeth, who married W. Delves, Rector of Frant. After her death it was in 1810 bought from his two daughters by James Bellamy of Wisbeach, and his nephew John was holding it, part owner with another, early in last century. | |||||
c 1825 | ![]() | Part of the 1 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1825 by Christopher and John Greenwood | Frankham | ||
c 1850 | History | Frankham Farm | Wace's Wadhurst | ||
About 1850 Frankham was bought by Henry Dixon. | |||||
c 1875 | ![]() | Part of the 6 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1875 by Ordnance Survey | Frankham Farm | ||
3rd Apr 1881 | Census | Jabez Kine, M, Head, married, age 48, born Wadhurst; occupation: gamekeeper | Jabez Kine | Frankham Cottage | 1881 Census Wadhurst, Sussex |
Sarah Kine, F, Wife, married, age 45, born Mayfield | Sarah Kine [Bridger] | ||||
Ada L. Kine, F, Daughter, single, age 16, born Rotherfield | Ada Louisa Kine | ||||
Samuel T. Kine, M, Son, age 14, born Rotherfield; occupation: scholar | Samuel T. Kine | ||||
Ernest F. Kine, M, Son, age 11, born Rotherfield; occupation: scholar | Ernest F. Kine | ||||
Flora A. Kine, F, Daughter, age 9, born Wadhurst; occupation: scholar | Flora A. Kine | ||||
Edith May Kine, F, Daughter, age 7, born Wadhurst; occupation: scholar | Edith May Kine | ||||
Eva Agness Kine, F, Daughter, age 3, born Wadhurst | Eva Agness Kine | ||||
3rd Apr 1881 | Census | Henry Tester, M, Head, married, age 49[?], born Fletching; occupation: farm labourer | Henry Tester, farm labourer | Frankham Cottage | 1881 Census Wadhurst, Sussex |
Charity Tester, F, Wife, married, age 44, born Horsted Keynes | Charity Tester [Tomsett] | ||||
John Tester, M, Son, single, age 15, born Chailey; occupation: farm labourer | John Tester | ||||
3rd Apr 1881 | Census | George Tester, M, Head, married, age 23, born Fletching; occupation: farm labourer | Henry George Tester, farm labourer | Frankham Cottage | 1881 Census Wadhurst, Sussex |
Maria Ann Tester, F, Wife, married, age 28, born Rotherfield | Maria Ann Tester [Dicker] | ||||
Maria Ann Tester, F, Daughter, age 4, born Lamberhurst | Maria Ann Tester | ||||
George Tester, M, Son, age 2, born Rotherfield | George Tester | ||||
John Pain, M, Lodger, single, age 33, born Beckley; occupation: farm labourer | John Pain |
The Weald is at Database version 14.05 which has ongoing updates to the 395,000 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,308 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 248 books loaded in the previous version